 Space / 13484
Re: legends space set, my thoughts as to the reasoning based on what brad has said
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 00:33:13 GMT

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:

I think there is another valid marketing reason as well, though: who
would buy them?  LEGO's primary market audience is 12-year-old boys,
not AFOL's.  Certainly, lots of AFOL's would buy the Space Legends
sets, but kids most likely won't.  Blue boxes with wings don't have
much appeal to today's 12-year-old, I think.  At least, not without a
video game, Saturday-morning TV show, and perhaps feature film tie-in...

I'd disagree with this as a reason.  The whole Legends series is geared more
towards the older collector.  Your reasoning would also preclude the
Breezeway Cafe, the Pizza to Go, the Guarded Inn, . . .  Also the whole
sculpture series (both SW and non-SW) isn't geared to the 12-year-old boy
(how many 12-year-olds have a couple of hundred to blow on a statue of a
landmark?).
Additionally, when I was a 12-year-old boy I loved these sets.  I don't
subscribe to the theory that kids today have drastically different tastes
(and attention spans) than we did 20 years ago.  If you argue that "kids
today" are ruined by video games, couldn't our parents say the same thing
about television.  Hmm, maybe old cavemen sat around complaining that "kids
today" were too distracted by that new-fangled cave painting.

Bruce