 Space / 13489
Re: legends space set, my thoughts as to the reasoning based on what brad has said
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 04:44:46 GMT

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:
"Mark" <snowleopard@foxinternet.net> writes:
In lugnet.space, Jonathan Wilson writes:
So, a space legend while starwars is out means less people buy starwars
(which is bad for TLC for obvious reasons) plus less people buy the
space legend.

Okay, sure.  Who knows why?  I mean really know why?  Only the nice
men/women in suits sitting in an office somewhere.

Well, Brad Justus (Senior VP of Lego Direct) spoke to this issue a
little bit at BricksWest, and the understanding that I took from that
is pretty much exactly what Jonathan was describing.  It's for
marketing reasons, not because of any restrictions in the Star Wars
contract (which had been the prevailing theory on LUGNET prior to
that).

I think there is another valid marketing reason as well, though: who
would buy them?  LEGO's primary market audience is 12-year-old boys,
not AFOL's.  Certainly, lots of AFOL's would buy the Space Legends
sets, but kids most likely won't.

I work in a toy store. (as I have stated a few times.)  A lot of parents refuse
to buy Star Wars sets on the grounds that they are violent. These same people
do buy Life on Mars. (which like classic space was/is geared toward exploration
rather than conquest) Now that said, I do belive that their is some overlap in
the Space and Star Wars market.  Roughly about as much overlap as in the Harry
Potter and Castle market. At any rate I like most others may not like TLCs
position, but what can we do but wait?

Blue boxes with wings don't have
much appeal to today's 12-year-old, I think.

There are a lot more than just blue boxes with wings in the Classic Space line.

At least, not without a
video game, Saturday-morning TV show, and perhaps feature film tie-in...

You must be thinking of the children who want action figures not the children
who want a good construction toy. (There lies TLCs biggest marketing problem
right now.)

-Mike Petrucelli