 Space / 13476
Re: legends space set, my thoughts as to the reasoning based on what brad has said
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:46:25 GMT

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:
"Mark" <snowleopard@foxinternet.net> writes:

Well, Brad Justus (Senior VP of Lego Direct) spoke to this issue a
little bit at BricksWest, and the understanding that I took from that
is pretty much exactly what Jonathan was describing.  It's for
marketing reasons, not because of any restrictions in the Star Wars
contract (which had been the prevailing theory on LUGNET prior to
that).

I think there is another valid marketing reason as well, though: who
would buy them?  LEGO's primary market audience is 12-year-old boys,
not AFOL's.  Certainly, lots of AFOL's would buy the Space Legends
sets, but kids most likely won't.  Blue boxes with wings don't have
much appeal to today's 12-year-old, I think.  At least, not without a
video game, Saturday-morning TV show, and perhaps feature film tie-in...

--Bill.

Well, I'm a twelve-year old boy.  And I would much rather prefer the 'blue
boxes with wings.'  I mean, does galaxy commander look like a box with
wings!  And (to get a bit off-classic-space) does mission commander look
like one?  I would much rather prefer an FX-star patroller than TWO Jedi
Starships...  I think if the kids actually new about older sets, alot of
them would change their mind.  And the last time I watched a movie?  2 weeks
ago.

John Kruer