 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1621
Re: C$ - Code Only
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 03:16:15 GMT

After doing some research I settled on using librcx by Kekoa Proudfoot.  I
compiled the librcx code and my code using the cygwin compiler that people use
for brickOS.  This combination gave me the huge available memory from QuiteC,
and use of Lego ROM code for infrared transmit and receive.  librcx does incur
the loss of CPU performance due to repeated interrupts.  Since I have this
interrupt overhead with brickOS (my only other meaningful choice, I don't know
Java), it is a don't care.  With librcx, I get lots more memory available than
with brickOS, with similar interrupt overhead.

I am admittedly biased toward BrickOS; however, I am wondering if you
attempted to free some memory in BrickOS by disabling features that you
didn't need?

If you are only going to run one program (whether single threaded or
multi), you can compile BrickOS without the Program Manager support.
This frees up a good bit of memory.  Disabling threading (task manager)
would also free up some memory as well as clock cycles; but at a
significant loss in available features (IMO).

I am just curious; I don't know how many BrickOS users know about those
options.

// Joe