 Robotics / RCX / 2915
Re: the LEGO CNC-Machine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 19:36:19 GMT

   I really like your design with the X and Y gearbox in a single unit. That is very well done. Your slider design is also very good. The table is supported in all directions. You have made it simple and effective. Good engineering!

thanks! it’s nice to get that kind of feedback from someone who’s not new to lego mills :)

   Your Z axis column will have to be very large to provide cutter coverage over the work area of X and Y. It will need to be firmly attached to the foundation of X and Y.

yes. you can see it in my diagrams again, the cutter hangs over the table pretty far:

i’m not sure yet how exactly i will manage to make it stay there without excessive vibration or deformation of the frame. the ideal solution would be a tower built of classic lego bricks, that would be really stiff. bad thing i don’t have too many of those. i hope i can come up with a nice technic structure. you can see a little test i made standing behind the table in the video, those skeleton-like technic beams. that’s more or less the size it will need.

   Looking good! Thanks for posting the movie. I have never tried to post to YouTube. What format do they accept for movies?

i made that movie in imovie hd, but you can upload pretty much anyting, mpg, avi, mov, ... i read it somewhere, i need to find the page.

something i noticed is that in my design the y axis gear rack (the one i mount on top in the video) presses really tightly against the gear that drives it, and i doubt that the normal technic motor will be able to handle it. is there any site with tips on the geometry of the gear rack? like, how to build a structure that makes it mesh nicely with gears, without too much backlash but not too tightly? i haven’t been able to figure it out... thanks!