 Robotics / RCX / 2906
Re: the LEGO CNC-Machine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:43:06 GMT

ok, now i understand what you mean. the problem is that this setup could be
difficult for long axes, i guess the axle with the worm gears would flex too
much...

The tools can ride a disk in front of Z and move in when Z is at a tool
change height. The disk moves in and Z can discharge the old tool. The drum
rotates to the new tool and Z picks it up and settles down to Home position.
Z does most of the work. You need to rotate the disk and slide it in and out
under the spindle.

exactly what i was thinking. that's the way the machines i've seen change their
tools.

This is a really ambitious idea. I think you will lose your Lego Purist
thinking trying to cut plastic with plastic.

no! i won't mill REAL lego bricks. i meant to cut the wax/soap/whatever into the
shape of a big lego brick, more like duplo or even bigger :)

I hope the newer gears lend
themselves better to anti- backlash designs than the old gears. You best
design your positioning device driven from the slide and not the drive gear
train.

why is that? i am planning to use a pole reverser short-circuited on one side as
a rotation counter, this could allow 8 counts per revolution of the motor, that
would be a precision of 1/8 teeth, which is pretty acceptable i think. (if the
rcx manages to count all impulses)

the backlash (when changing directions) could be compensated in the software, i
just need to see how many rotations the motor has to make before the gears
engage again.