 Robotics / RCX / 2903
Re: the LEGO CNC-Machine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:24:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Robert G Fay wrote:
I am sure you will agree with me that Lego should have made a
rack gear that would mesh with the worm segment. I have used them together,
but they do not work well.

indeed, i agree!

You can make an equivalent ball-lead nut with a
couple of 8T gears and 2 #3 axles between two lift levers. One gear locked
and the other floating.

i can't quite picture what you mean. could you upload a drawing or something?

the animation you sent is good, actually the up/down movement it makes could be
the z-axis itself, saving me another motor (not the tool changer moving up, but
the spindle moving down). however, i guess i will want to build a tool changer
with more tools, at least after i get the machine itself to work :)

my plan is to mill little "lego"-like bricks with the word "lego" on the side
and some kind of studs on top, and from what i've imagined i will need at least
3 tools for that.
- one to get the surface nicely even
- one to get the material out between the studs
- one to engrave the word lego

also it would be great to make the machine as flexible as possible.

another idea would be to use soap blocks as the raw material! (not recyclable,
but not nearly as messy as chalk, maybe easier to mill than wax)
what do you think about all of this?