 Robotics / RCX / 2905
Re: the LEGO CNC-Machine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:08:53 GMT

"daniel" <daniel.formatc.at.gmail.com> wrote in message
i can't quite picture what you mean. could you upload a drawing or
something?

As you can see, I do not know how to get "deep links" on Brick Shelf.  If I
figure it out I will post the links again.

The tools can ride a disk in front of Z and move in when Z is at a tool
change height. The disk moves in and Z can discharge the old tool. The drum
rotates to the new tool and Z picks it up and settles down to Home position.
Z does most of the work. You need to rotate the disk and slide it in and out
under the spindle.

my plan is to mill little "lego"-like bricks with the word "lego" on the
side
and some kind of studs on top, and from what i've imagined i will need at
least
3 tools for that.
- one to get the surface nicely even
- one to get the material out between the studs
- one to engrave the word lego

This is a really ambitious idea. I think you will lose your Lego Purist
thinking trying to cut plastic with plastic. I hope the newer gears lend
themselves better to anti- backlash designs than the old gears. You best
design your positioning device driven from the slide and not the drive gear
train.

also it would be great to make the machine as flexible as possible.

Oh! It will flex!

another idea would be to use soap blocks as the raw material! (not
recyclable,
but not nearly as messy as chalk, maybe easier to mill than wax)
what do you think about all of this?

Soap! Never thought of that! Sounds like it would really work. Hmm! Hot
water coolant!