 Robotics / RCX / 2900
Re: the LEGO CNC-Machine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:01:06 GMT

Keep in mind that vibration is a major problem when you actually attempt to
cut any material. Also, the cutter wants to be drawn into the material as
the cut is being made. Wax is really bad for this effect.

heh i guess i'll go get a candle tomorrow to test this. but that certainly is
bad news. but on the other hand, there are harder and softer variants of wax?
(or so i've heard)

I think the best
material is sidewalk chalk. It is soft and could be cut with a Lego gear.

cool thought. but this will make a huge mess... and it's not as recycleable as
wax. or is it?

I am thinking of all the tool changers I have seen and I have not had a
vision of one in technic. I would stick with the two tool concept and keep
it as a stand alone unit to reduce the weight on Z and Y axes. Have you
decided on your configuration for the axes? What axes will carry the cutter
and what axes will carry the material.

i have built the x and y axes to carry the workpiece itself, the z axis will be
moving the cutter up and down.
you can see a vague idea of what i'm building right here (in the upper left
corner):
http://formatc1702.prul.net/gallery/v/robocnc/DSC03537.JPG.html
i will upload the first pictures of the real thing soon.

the tool changer should not sit on the axis but rather somehow next to it, and
only approach it to exchange the tools, and move out of the way afterwards.