 Robotics / 7119
  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) I, um, have one that was filled with water back then... *cough* It doesn't work so good any more. ;) - Ben. ---...--- Ben Williamson benw@pobox.com (URL) (25 years ago, 9-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) My, that is an awesome looking compressor design, indeed. I hope it doesn't throw my recording device off-scale. I'm not too sure I can build it just from the pictures but I'll give it a go. It'll help if you could include some exploded views (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) heehee more air power is better,right ? <grin> of course it really depends on the application, but in this case I want to push about 8 cylinders. maybe this upgrade to the pump will help get me inspired to complete it. (...) I will put some (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

DHL is an express service, competitor to Airborne and FedEx. Master Soh is making a play for a donation. :-) (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Er, DHL is one of the international express courier services. They'll deliver parcels to any place in the world. You could also use Federal Express... No, I don't want the DAT files, I want to lay my hands on that awesome creation of yours (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Well, sort of. As you can imagine, all my pumps and air tanks are already taken up in my models of Mike's and Ralph's and other compressors in order to carry out the comparative tests. Seriously though, if anyone has pneumatic parts they no (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Greetings : ) Silly me, made it more complex than it was. Does DHL stand for "Delivers Holy LEGOs" ??... Thanks for the clarification. Anyway here is a link to several pictures of the assembly process. I will try to put together a parts list. (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Ahhh I see now... DHL is the one with the flying trucks arent they ? As soon as I personally watch one of them land on my street, I will gladly send him the assembly( without tanks of course) Its hard to replace them since I dont live in (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Gosh, that's a tall order. Y'know, you're going to send me back into hiding for quite a while. And I was just thinking of taking a break after coming out with my new creation. Maybe I should just loan you my testing machine.... -- C S Soh (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Yes, it's a real pain to get those little blue air tanks as spares. And I forsee there will be an increase in their demand since my article was posted. Perhaps, here's where Emmanuel of DYA-shopping (where else but in France itself) could come (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) DON'T go back into hiding! We're all glad you popped up. Excellent site, I know I nominated it for CLSotW and I bet other people did too. Very important work to the community as a whole. Thanks!!!! (...) You could probably oh, I dunno, DHL it (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) well, you did ask for a parts list : ). I was trying to be complete and not run you off. Please don't feel obligated to run any tests on this as I understand too well life's time constraints. After I finished up all the picts and description, (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Yea, I bought two of the technic subs just for the tanks. Your fine data does show they help : ) Thanks again for sharing it!! (...) That is an excellent idea. Maybe a group buy thru him could be worked out if he doesnt want to have them as a (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Works for me. I'll even pay for shipping. :-) Just kidding. I think we need to see instructions for the tester! That way we can all reproduce the results. But, maybe we need to compare several testers to see how much variability there is (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message news:37F4B2C6.5A1298...ger.net... (...) For the development of my pressure sensor I used a digital pressure gauge that you can buy for checking tire pressure. ($8.00 at KMart) It requires removing (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

Michael, Another great post! You should be in the "LEGO Hall of Fame" along with Dave Baum and Mark Overmars! Thanks for your many contributions, - Nick - (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Well, didn't really expect you would let me off so easily. (...) Oh dear, my site's a mess. Just hope you know what you're doing. (...) A better idea - if I could contort myself to fit into the DHL box .... Cheers -- C S Soh (URL) where air is (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Just kidding! Well, you my weakness. How could I possibly pass off the opportuntiy to build and test what might turn out to be the ultimate Lego air compressor? Fact is I've already started on it but there may be some delay coz I'm truly out (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Well, people, I think we'd better get down to some serious business... (...) Agreed. Building instructions on the way soon as I can see whether improvements are required as as been variously suggested:a. use an angle sensor b. use a pressure (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Here are thoughts on the variability in the tester issues posed. The most important sources of variability in the RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester and precautions to be taken are as follows: 1. The compressor under test itself may be (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) So I guess I should use lubricants made especially for plastic and rubber huh. Else you should probably just leave it alone. I wonder... How bad will the get screwed up? Anyone know? I mean if you use say machine oil(what I use) and it will (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Set up a pump, a valve, and a cylinder like this. pump------Valve---...---cylnder \___...___/ Then put a few drops of oil into each tube AFTER the valve. Turn the valve so the cylinder goes up, and push the pump. Then set the valve to go down. (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Lubricating Cylinders

(...) I've noticed that some of my cylinders are a bit "sticky" or sound like they are grinding. The small cylinders and pumps have a lubricant on them already. On a side note, I'd be careful about what kind of oil I put into these cylinders, since (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Any special type of oil? I've been hesistant about using oil. As I understand it, there is rubber inside the cylinder and oil affects rubber. I'll give it a try! (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) I would also restrain from using oil. If you open a hand pump (the easiest pneumatic to open) you notice that there is a clear grease lubricating the piston. I would guess this is some type of silicone product. I don't think petroleum oil is (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Thanks, I would certainly want my pneumatics to last. Wish the pumps and cylinders could come with a little leaflet on their proper use and care, together with a small tube of the approved lubricant. (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lubricating Cylinders

> > > (Anyone found a safe and effective lubricant for them?) Graphite? As is used in locks? (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Has anyone actually contacted LEGO and asked for this? I remember when I was a kid and one of those copper thingies (I don't know the correct English word word) which picks up the electric power from the track in the middle of the old train (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Pneumatics have been around for 15 years. Anyone oiled them back in 1984? And also has some un-oiled ones with them? Well, one of my cylinders has already been filled with oil. So I'll just have to wait 20 years. Let me see, that'll be 2019. (...) (25 years ago, 5-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Er, I thought water is "hydrolics". Anyway, you've advanced our meagre knowledge concerning Lego pneumatics, namely you've confirmed what doesn't work. But we're still much in the dark about what will work. Guess we'll just have to wait for (...) (25 years ago, 5-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

I have some of the original pneumatic cylinders with only one inlet. They have been used for various non Lego uses. While coming back from the dark ages, I have discovered that all three still work once they have been pumped once by had. They can (...) (25 years ago, 7-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) But do you reckon the seals are the same? They may use different material now... BTW, does anyone have any good uses for the old cylinders? They are pretty feeble when pulling (ie relying on "vacuum"), and seem (IMO) to be less well-built than (...) (25 years ago, 7-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

I'm using one of my old cylinders for my cut-off pressure switch. This only uses one of the inlets any way. They are OK for once only trigger events. They can also be used to transfer motion from one place to another by simply connecting two with (...) (25 years ago, 7-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester

(...) Thanks for your patience. Just received 4 of the lil' compressor pumps and have built and tested John Morgan's new double-acting (*correct terminology*) compressor. Unfortunately, the design does not seem to work out in practice. After just a (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)