 Robotics / 5040
Re: Fishing for a tasty linkage/gearing/robotic building thread...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 19:20:45 GMT

Michael Gasperi skrev i meddelandet ...

I work with a local science museum (Discovery World in Milwaukee, WI) to
create hands on activities for kids during Engineers Week (late February).
One of the activities is for Software engineering.  Right now we have them
write a kind of computer program using colored beads strung on string.  The
program is the solution to a simple maze like problem.  Red=right turn
Blue=left turn, and Black and White beads give the binary value of the
distance. After a kid writes a program, they give it to a neighbor who
"executes" it to figure out where they went.

To make the activity more interesting, I'd like to build a vehicle that can
execute the program also.  I would probably substitute LEGO blocks for the
beads.  The biggest problem I've got is making perfect right angle turns.

Hey, that's almost our (me and my kids) current project! We have Cybermaster,
not RIS, but in this case I think the CM is better, as it have the built-in
tachometers for the two permanent motors. We haven't gotten to the 'exact'
turning part yet, but the standard LEGO software for CM has a 'calibration'
routine for turning, so it should be doable.

Our machine reads a 'program' made by putting small bricks (1x1, square or
round) on a LEGO plate (2x8,10,any). This 'program' is driven slowly (with the
third motor, a lot of gears and some rubber bands :-) past two touch sensors
(one on each side) which for the moment just turns the drive motors on/off,
but eventually we want to have a predefined turn amount.

By using both square and round bricks, we can have a 'large' turn and a
'small' turn.

The third touch sensor detects 'program loaded' and 'end of file'.

A typical program could look like (bad ASCII art follows, fixed font
recommended):

+------------------------+
|[o][o] o (o) o [o][o][o]|
|[o][o][o] o  o  o  o  o |

Which means (approximately):
Full ahead for two time steps, full right, half left, stand still, rotate left

This has been great fun, even the 9 year old has played a lot with it, and
made different 'programs', noting the different movement patterns.

Sorry, no pictures yet, I must borrow a digital camera first.

Play well,
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm