 Robotics / 5052
Re: Fishing for a tasty linkage/gearing/robotic building thread...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 12:39:53 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Anders Isaksson writes:

An idea we have (but no implementation ideas yet), is to drive the program in
discrete 'steps', sampling the sensors during the step, and decide the action.
This would make exact turns possible. The main problem here would be to
distinguish between the square blocks, and the round ones (try to measure 'on'
time?), and select different actions.

I like a lot your idea of a "phisical" program stored on a 2 x n plate. You
could use one sensor eg on the left side as a sort of "clock" mechanism which
marks your steps. Doing so you very precisely know when to read the right
sensor which is the actual code reader. If you use round bricks for the clock
sensor you may stop the program movement when the clock sensor closes. On the
right side you could simply put a 1x1 brick to mean '1' or nothing to mean '0'.
To enhance the vocabulary of your "bytecode interpreter" all you have to do is
to lengthen your "word" to the desired number of bits. Eg: reading three
"bites" to have an 8 codes instruction set.

With light sensors instead, perhaps you can distinguish different colors? I
don't have any light sensors (CM, remember?), so it's just a guess.

Yes with the light sensor you could use colors to select codes, but not more
than three or four of them (in my experience).

BTW I don't think this solution helps with the precise 90 degrees turn
problem. I guess best solutions have already been suggested:
- two indipendent groups of wheels one for the fwd/back motion and the other
for left/right, with a third motor to lower/raise the proper group.
- a rotation sensor to keep track of actual rotations.

Mario

Mario Ferrari
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/9449/
e-mail: mario.ferrari@edis.it