 Robotics / 4997
4996  |  4998
Subject:
Fishing for a tasty linkage/gearing/robotic building thread...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 21:17:57 GMT

Hi all,
  I've noticed that it's been awhile since there has been good thread
concerning the building of robotic elements in Lego.  I have nothing against
the really neat conversations concerning the RCX - but- computers are what I
do for a living, so the thing that attracts me to Lego robotics is the
subset of engineering that I know absolutely nothing about - robotic
movement.

I long for the exciting days of Adaptive transmission, syncro drive and
tri-wheelers. Are all the gearheads gone? I wish I could say I had a
tremendous idea to share - but I don't.  Here are some projects that I
_almost_ started:

  An adaptive pressure pump that would have at least two gears.  This would
allow the build up of pressure quickly for the initial strokes, followed by
a gear down for the tougher cycles.  I would like to be able to drive a
couple of the big pneumatic cylinders all at once.

A large and steerable walker (AT-AT?) using pneumatics or gears

incorporating any of the throwbot ball-joint elements in anything.

And finally what I am working on:
A large landing bay for all my star wars rebel ships.  lighted landing
strips, rotating launch pads, minifig lifts - all rcx controlled of course.
Naturally, I will require a robotic arm to lift and rotate ships in need of
repair :)

Anyway - just my attempt to create a robotic-motion thread.  Feel free to
reply with your current project, or just a "me too", and I will send any
interesting bits your way should I find any.

P.S. newbie ideas/questions strongly encouraged!!  Fresh Blood!!