 Robotics / 5025
Re: Fishing for a tasty linkage/gearing/robotic building thread...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 12:30:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Kipling Morris writes:

I've noticed that it's been awhile since there has been good thread
concerning the building of robotic elements in Lego.

I totally agree about needing a new building thread.  It seems like there is
a lot of effort for software in a box with only three inputs and three
outputs.  Whatever turns you on I suppose.  We all get enjoyment from this
product in different ways.

Anyway here is what I'm working on:

I work with a local science museum (Discovery World in Milwaukee, WI) to
create hands on activities for kids during Engineers Week (late February).
One of the activities is for Software engineering.  Right now we have them
write a kind of computer program using colored beads strung on string.  The
program is the solution to a simple maze like problem.  Red=right turn
Blue=left turn, and Black and White beads give the binary value of the
distance. After a kid writes a program, they give it to a neighbor who
"executes" it to figure out where they went.

To make the activity more interesting, I'd like to build a vehicle that can
execute the program also.  I would probably substitute LEGO blocks for the
beads.  The biggest problem I've got is making perfect right angle turns.  I
don't want the vehicle to curve around corners.  Just go forward, and then make
a pure right (or left) turn, and then forward again.  It would be nice if it
could do this several times without getting too far out of whack.  I suppose
this is the way a Logo turtle moves.  Has anybody built anything that acts
like this with Mindstorms yet?

For RCX Input and Sensor Information Visit:
http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/lego.htm