 Robotics / 5086
Re: Fishing for a tasty linkage/gearing/robotic building thread...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 21:59:30 GMT

Wes Matchett wrote:

"S. Crawshaw" wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Paul Speed wrote:

      Or third, a synchro drive constrained to a ninety degree
throw.  This is simpler than the independent wheels since it doesn't •   <snip>
The most complicated part of this will be getting the drive train
snaked through whatever rotation assembly you have.  Most of the
synchro drives you will see examples of use the turntable pieces.

Surely the only reason there's usually complication is that the assembly
needs to be able to rotate any amount in either direction. If 0-90 degrees
is the total range, then there are lots of really simple solutions.

[This next bit is irrelevant to the 0-90 constrained synchro drive]

I do not have any of these so I have experimented with several
other linkages.  I won't go into them here... they are an
implementation detail.

That's a bit of an understatement - and I'd love to hear how many other
ways you found to make a synchro drive: I've only heard of one way
that doesn't use a turntable (uses a differential instead)

I have a fully functional version that doesn't use either - or any special
parts.  I wish I had a digital camera to take some decent pictures.  I have one
photo taken with a Polaroid.  I'll put it on my web site tonight.

Here it is as promised:  http://www.mnsinc.com/wesmat/lego/MindStorms.html

I finally got around to creating a Mindstorms site. Now if I can just work out the
details of paying for a digital camera.....

-Wes