 Robotics / 5041
Re: recursion (was RE: Would-be hacker queries.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 19:52:54 GMT

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Anders Isaksson wrote:

Are you sure? I have faint memories from University of a function called 'The
Ackermann Function' which was 'recursive in all directions', and couldn't be
expressed iteratively.

I am not familiar with that function, but I believe I recall a proof in a
graduate CS theory class that any recursive algorithm could be
transformed into an iterative one.  Do you have a reference for this
function?

For practical purposes, since we don't have infinite memory every computer
we build is just a finite state machine, so we can always write an iterative
program that simulates that finite state machine executing any arbitrary
program.  However, that isn't what either of us was referring to.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@LiveOnTheNet.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801