 Robotics / 5049
Re: recursion (was RE: Would-be hacker queries.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 10:00:51 GMT

John A. Tamplin wrote:

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Anders Isaksson wrote:

Are you sure? I have faint memories from University of a function called 'The
Ackermann Function' which was 'recursive in all directions', and couldn't be
expressed iteratively.

I am not familiar with that function, but I believe I recall a proof in a
graduate CS theory class that any recursive algorithm could be
transformed into an iterative one.  Do you have a reference for this
function?

I seem to remember the point of the Ackermann function is that the
amount of computation required to evaluate it explodes very rapidly with
small changes in parameter values, and it is recursive and rather
simple.

I also seem to remember "so what?" being my reaction when I came across
it :-).

Cheers,

Ben.

--