 Robotics / 5048
Re: You know, all this computer science talk doesn't really belong here.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 08:11:31 GMT

"Aa-Tchoo!" wrote:

But is it OK to post newby queries specifically requesting explanations for computer science terms
mentioned in posts on topics which are clearly related to Lego's RIS? (with the expectation that I
might get a simple definition or short explanation and then end of thread.)

Of course it's okay.  Actually, it was because of a concern I had for newbies that I suggested the
computer science talk be moved to a more relevant group, or at least off of this one.  Most of the
computer threads here have digressed from Lego so completely, they are indistinguishable from the
sorts of posts you would find on one or more of the comp.* newsgroups on usenet.  I suggested a
different group (however amusing the name of it might be) because it appeared to me that many of the
more recent posts may be too intense for people who aren't actually interested in that sort of thing.

The discussion which seemed to bring all this about was my suggestion that a new, more versatile
firmware be developed.  When I first brought it up, I had no idea how heated the conversation about it
would become.  I made the suggestion in this group because at the time, lugnet.robotics.rcx did not
yet exist.  I've since moved my posts on the matter to the new group, but I notice the threads
continue here and move ever-further away from the original intent of the post, which is why I
interjected my suggestion.

I did not mean for my suggestion on moving the comp-sci. chatter to another group to disuade people
from asking questions, I just feel that conversations about the merits of iteration versus recursion
and what-have-you might better be served in a more relevant group than one which is actually supposed
to be about lego robots.

Mark