 Robotics / 3597
Re: NQC v. LegOS / size
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 21:28:47 GMT

=>From: "John A. Tamplin" <jat@Traveller.COM>
=>...
=>On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, dave madden wrote:
=>
=>> Yes, the H8 divide instruction can only do (16 bits)/(8 bits), so GCC
=>> calls a helper routine [...]
=>
=>Are you linking libgcc.a?  I believe it has all the math helper functions
=>that are required.

That's where they would be, if there were any.  I don't think GCC has
code for the helpers; as I recall, it relies on the native C compiler
to produce object files which are archived into libgcc.a.  For
systems where GCC *is* the native compiler, it either has to be able
to "open code" the operations (i.e. express them as raw machine
instructions), or the helpers have to have been provided by some other
means.  (I think the creation of libgcc.a is where some people have
been having trouble building the cross-compiler.)

Can your installation of gcc/egcs compile _& LINK_ this program:

int main( )
{
extern int x;
extern int y;

return x / y;
}

Mine tries to call a helper function for the divide, and I don't have
it anywhere in the material from EGCS that I was able to build &
install.

d.