 Robotics / 3504
Re: NQC v. LegOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 22:13:39 GMT

Luis Villa wrote:

I've spent a good portion of the morning looking at homepages for both of these
systems, and I was wondering what the key differences are between the two?
i.e., are there limitations in one that aren't present in the other? Strengths?
In particular, the NQC docs mention limitations on arithmetic, among other
things. Does LegOS have the same issues? Are there other strengths/weaknesses
to the two that I should know about before I get into the nitty gritty of it
all?

Thanks in advance-
Luis Villa

NQC's primary advantage over LegOS is that it's easier to install and operate.
LegOS requires a lot more "stuff" that people just wanting to play with the RCX
probably wouldn't care that much about.   LegOS's primary advantage, on the other
hand, is that it gives you a full C programming language to work with, so you can
have your own struct types, more variables, and as a native code compiler, it gives
you full access to the RCX's capabilities.   NQC programs can only operate the RCX
in the way that LEGO's operating system which is uploaded to the RCX as "firmware"
allows.  It is this "firmware" that LegOS replaces.  An RCX running LegOS programs
won't be able to run normal Mindstorms programs until the the normal "firmware"
code has been re-uploaded back into the RCX.

To the best of my knowledge LegOS, shares none of the weaknesses that NQC has.  The
only disadvantage to LegOS that I can see is that it's not particularly simple.  It
makes me think of the idea of using a firehose to put out a small kitchen fire
instead of using a handheld fire extinguisher.  NQC, following this analogy, would
amount to something less than a fire extinguisher, in my opinion... probably the
equivalent of a single bucket of water.

Mark