 Robotics / 3580
Re: NQC v. LegOS / size
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 13:18:59 GMT

Hi Luis,

Luis Villa wrote:
I run Linux. I sneer at "easy installation." :-)

I like your attitude ;-)

There's a new precompiled package of H8 tools for Windows around (~8MB
zipped, ~22MB installed), courtesy of Dave Madden. My precompiled
Linux/glibc package (~1.5MB gzipped, ~3.4 MB installed) is equally easy
to install and a lot smaller. This is mainly because the operating
system provides tools instead of animated icons.

legOS source and NQC binaries themselves are both neglectible in size,
as you'll see below. Notice the difference in efficiency for the
different compression algorithms. bzip2 is just included for comparison
- at the order of magnitude we're at, it's not worth the bother.

-rw-rw-r--   1 mlnoga   mlnoga      53465 Feb  7 13:53
legOS-0.1.6.tar.bz2
-rw-rw-r--   1 mlnoga   mlnoga      60060 Jan 29 14:59 legOS-0.1.6.tgz
-rw-rw-r--   1 mlnoga   mlnoga      89612 Jan 29 15:00 legOS-0.1.6.zip

-rw-rw-r--   1 mlnoga   mlnoga      53361 Dec  4 11:47
nqc_lnx_1_0_b1.tgz

Maybe Markus can answer this better, but is it full C? I got the
impression that the H8300 patch to gcc had some limitations. Am I correct in
this? If so, what are those limitations/shortcomings?

Apart from the limitations imposed by H8 architecture (an 8/16 bit
platform with the usual constraints on integer length, available memory
and library functions), there's mainly one language limitation I am
aware of.

Non-constant initialized global or static variables aren't safe to use.
Their initial values are usually written directly into the binary
program image by the compiler. On a system with normal task load
mechanism, they'd simply be reloaded for every execution, but under
legOS, their values currently won't be reset.

Other than that, happy hacking. Hashtables, red-black trees, fibonnaci
heaps - everything should be possible. Consult your favourite book on
algorithms and data structures. I recommend Cormen's.

Ciao, Markus.

--
Markus L. Noga noga@inrialpes.fr
Check out legOS! http://www.multimania.com/legos/