 Robotics / 3515
Re: NQC v. LegOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 07:14:42 GMT

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Luis Villa wrote:

Maybe Markus can answer this better, but is it full C? I got the
impression that the H8300 patch to gcc had some limitations. Am I correct in
this? If so, what are those limitations/shortcomings?

It isn't a patch for gcc -- the H8300 is a supported target.  The only
limitations are that the processor has 16-bit ints, which when you start
to include traditional libc functions, can require some porting effort, as
with other code that you may have written.  Another limitation is that
memory is quite limited, which in turn leads to thread stack size issues.
Also, it is an embedded target so you have work to do to get
constructors/destructors in C++ to be run properly, but it isn't hard.

Ahh. I see. I didn't realize why NQC had problems- I thought the limitations
in the stuff that comes from Lego was in the language, not the firmware.

Well, some of the match limitations could be overcome by work in the NQC
compiler itself (ie, translating a=b+c to a=b; a+=c).  However, the bytecodes
the RCX firmware supports (which are generated by both NQC and the
standard Mindstorms software) are quite limited (the biggest limitation
being no indexed address mode).

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@Traveller.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801