 Robotics / 3588
Re: NQC v. LegOS / size
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:20:41 GMT

=>From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
=>...
=>Markus L. Noga wrote:
=>> Apart from the limitations imposed by H8 architecture (an 8/16 bit
=>> platform with the usual constraints on integer length, available memory
=>> and library functions), there's mainly one language limitation I am
=>> aware of.
=>
=>Actually, I ran into another - you can divide by numbers that aren't
=>powers of two. At least, I can't. There seems to be a missing assembler
=>routine.

Yes, the H8 divide instruction can only do (16 bits)/(8 bits), so GCC
calls a helper routine when you attempt to divide an integer by
another integer.  (Same thing with multiplication: the hardware can
only do (8 bits) x (8 bits) -> (16 bits), so GCC often calls a helper
function for that, too.)  Powers of two (division & multiplication)
can be converted to shifts, and multiplication/division by a constant
can often be turned into a combination of shifts and adds; GCC will do
that if it thinks the combination will be more efficient than a
generalized routine.

I haven't had need of any complicated math, so I haven't written the
helper routines; maybe Markus has some.  (Alternatively, I believe
Kekoa identified some math routines in the RCX ROM...it might be
possible to use those.)

d.