 Robotics / 3596
RE: Star Wars Mindstorms = True
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 21:27:19 GMT

Laurentino-

I would not get too worked up about new processors and having to start all
over based on what that article said.  I don't put too much stock in the
statement "Lego Systems Inc. showed off updated versions of its Mindstorms
robot systems with enhanced processors" in an article which:

  called it "Windstorms" once

  called it a "PC-controlled robot kit", which clearly gives
    the impression that the PC is what runs the robot, instead
    of the RCX

  gives the impression that fans could only create their own
    programs because Lego released the software developers kit
    (Spirit OCX).  True of CM not RIS, right?

This sort of media mis-information is typical for technology oriented
products but I am a bit surprised that it came from a technology magazine.
For all we know the enhanced processors are really just different colors
(flavors, a la iMac).

The RCX is more than capable for the purposes of Lego Group.  I would be
very surprised if there were any significant changes to the RCX.  There is
still lots of money to be made with it just the way it is.  And any changes
that do occur will likely be software compatible because they don't want to
have to rewrite any more than we do.

Does anyone have any information on the "enhanced processors". Specs?
Availability?  It could be just like concept cars at the auto shows.  I
remember going to a show in the early '80s and the Oldsmobile concept car
features from that show have still not materialized.

JT