 Robotics / 3181
  Thoughts on Turning

I'm one of those newly returned to lego types, drawn in by the appearance of the MindStorms kit. Being a software guy by trade, programming my creations is pretty straightforwards, but the mechanical engineering bits are stretching my brain more. (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

(...) take a look at (URL) There are two robots there based on an adder/subtractor that uses two differentials. The 2nd design (at the bottom of the page) is much more efficient then the first, so if you build one I'd suggest starting there. There (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

(...) It sounds liek a very nice way of doing things. Does it require three motors tho? One forward reverse, one left right, and one for lowering/raising the 5th wheel? I could think of a way to do it with one motor for left/right _and_ (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:07:14 GMT, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (alex wetmore) wrote: One first comment.. 5 length axles are avilable, you can get em in among others the current axle service set. Jasper (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

(...) yup, and the 2nd design on there (my dad's design) doesn't require 5 length axles anyway. i knew that i could get 5length axles, i just didn't have any (they are a bit rare still) and cut up a 10 length axles. i can remember doing the same (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

(...) *shudder* Despite my not-quite-purist's outlook, cutting Legos up if the thing you make are already available otherwise just freaks me out :) well, I just recently ordered some Service sets: 2 gear sets, 2 small beam sets, 2 axle sets, and two (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

Alex I read your message and went to your web page and looked at your desigh and was wondering if you (or anyone else) can help me with resources for building robots for my 16 year old son. We Home school and are about to start using mindstorms for (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

I made a wheel that could roll sideways. That way you don't have to raise and lower the turn wheel. Check out "Curvy1" at (URL) It needs some refinement, but the idea works. Bill Jasper Janssen wrote in message <36ac7ccf.83855140@l...et.com>... (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

(...) Cool! me too! (Actually, my wife has been getting on my case lately because I've been "pilfering" some of the kids' LEGO stuff to experiment, so I'm going to need to get more of my own.) (...) One of the cleverest ideas I saw for a steering (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

Jim - - - We don't home school, but we do home supplement public school with 12-15 hours a week of in-depth study. I started my 10 and 11 year old boys on MindStorms in November. The older boy had experience with Logo and QBASIC, the younger had no (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

Just out of curiosity what does the HandyBoard do for you. Also do you have any experience with the Robolab software? Thanks for the Info Jim Clark (...) This message was sent from Bess.Net, a filtered Internet Access Provider for children and (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

Jim - - - Perspective #1: As a teaching/learning tool the HB is a "real-life" micro- controller that serves as a great intro to programming embedded applications. It was designed to do just that at M.I.T. Perspective #2: As a toy for the robotics (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

(...) Perspective #1 makes the HB great for programmers. Perspective #2 makes the HB great for robotics hobbyists. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in another thread, the HB is totally unsuitable for people who just want to play around with LEGO while (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

I like the gear plates for creating gantry type of constructions. I used them in my "photocopier"/fax (no photo available as I've already disassembled it). Matt medinfo@aros.net (...) -- Did you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

Mark - - - I do not understand why you want to get into a pissing contest about using the HandyBoard with LEGO robots. My first (and only) posting to you was an honest attempt to help you, and I apologized when I realised that it wasn't HB (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

alex wetmore <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message news:Pine.BSF.4.05.9...red.org... (...) Ah yes, I should have mentioned that. I definitely intend to move to an adder/subtractor for the driving wheels. But alas, only one differential so far. (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote in message news:36ac7ccf.838551...net.com... (...) The first version simply dragged the fifth wheel and flipped up onto it when the unit reversed for a moment, this worked but obviously prevented (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

(...) For some powered wheels that roll sideways, check out Leo Dorst's LEGO version of the Killough platform: (URL) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

(...) I have built something along those lines sort of. I have two driving wheels in the center and four supports that slide (just for lino). The one support lifts the unit enough for the driving wheels to rotate. So the unit doesn't turn, but the (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

In article <F66Dn9.D3M@lugnet.com>, Dean Lovell <dean@aaddesign.com> quotes and writes (...) How about this for a totally untested idea: (it relies on the existence of a lego sphere which may not actually exist) Use 3 spheres instead of wheels, with (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

(...) There are two spheres found in the Robosports expansion pack, but they are soft foam and couldn't support the weight of the RCX. Its still an interesting idea though, and could be done with standard rubber balls (even mouse balls if you have (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

If you dare to go non-purist, I say ping pong balls! They're light, low friction, and generally of uniform dimensions. -Zach (...) ---...--- Zachary Bourk UCSD, EE (URL) you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

How will the adder/subtractor help with your need for feedback in the turn ? Will you use your modified rotation sensor to somehow achieve this ? Also, I do not have a web page to put them on, but I built two modified versions of the second example (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

Cyberia <cyberia@erols.com> wrote in message news:F67CnM.4sr@lugnet.com... (...) ? Separate issues, the adder/subtractor (is there really not a better existing name for this device btw?) is to deal with the slight variations in motor power that (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on Turning

It would be nice to have a shorter name. :-) I found the overall resistance of the add/sub transmission and final drive gearing, etc. when using tracks to be too great for one motor. This was the largest detractor from it's utility (the fact that (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)