 Robotics / 3202
Re: Thoughts on Turning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:41:44 GMT

Jim - - -

We don't home school, but we do home supplement public school with
12-15 hours a week of in-depth study.  I started my 10 and 11 year old
boys on MindStorms in November.  The older boy had experience with
Logo and QBASIC, the younger had no programming background.

MindStorms has worked well as a starting point for both robotics and
for programming.  The older boy quickly moved to using BotCode
which is an easy step up from MindStorms.  The less experienced kid
will be ready for BotCode soon.

When they become proficient with BotCode I plan on moving them
to NQC running under RCX Command Center.  This will introduce
them to writing macros and will serve as an intro to using C.

If they both continue to show an interest in robotics and programming,
the next step will be to using a HandyBoard (68HC11) and Interactive
C.  This is a good stepping stone for starting to use assembly
language on the 68HC11.

Here are the links:
BotCode -->
    http://www.desktopmusic.com/botcode.htm

RCX-CC -->
    http://www.cs.uu.nl/~markov/lego/

HandyBoard -->
    http://el.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/index.html

Hope this helps.
- - - Nick - - -
The Clark Family wrote:

Alex I read your message and went to your web page and looked at your desigh and
was wondering if you (or anyone else) can help me with resources for building
robots for my 16 year old son. We Home school and are about to start using
mindstorms for a robotics class and I am trying to get as much information and
projects as possible. Do you program with the Robolab or the Mindstorms software?
Which do you reccomend for a student who has lots of lego building experience and
has worked with the Logo programming language.
Thanks
Jim Clark