 Robotics / 3242
Re: Thoughts on Turning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:25:57 GMT

Well, enough rambling for now.  Any one else using a similar sort of design?
Thoughts on improving this one?  Better ways to implement the first two
options?  Other completely different ways of handling the steering problem?

-Blake (budding lego hacker)

I have built something along those lines sort of.  I have two driving wheels
in the center and four supports that slide (just for lino).  The one support
lifts the unit enough for the driving wheels to rotate.  So the unit doesn't
turn, but the driving wheel do.  I wanted the ability to stop and go directly
sideways (no turning radius).
The unit is not well enough designed to my satisfaction, but it does work.
One support (that lifts) drags a little more so it doesn't go quite straight.
I plan to build a low center of gravity model using the crane truck outrigger
idea for lifting the unit.

http://aaddesign.com/lego
two wheel stander.

BTW I am in the same Lego situation, getting back in with MindStorms and
finding out I am no engineer.  But what fun.

Dean
dean@aaddesign.com
http://aaddesign.com/lego