 Robotics / 3253
Re: Thoughts on Turning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:15:59 GMT

If you dare to go non-purist, I say ping pong balls! They're light, low
friction, and generally of uniform dimensions.
-Zach

alex wetmore wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Peter Hesketh wrote:
How about this for a totally untested idea: (it relies on the existence
of a lego sphere which may not actually exist)

Use 3 spheres instead of wheels, with each sphere in contact with four
driven axles, a bit like a mouse ball.

There are two spheres found in the Robosports expansion pack, but
they are soft foam and couldn't support the weight of the RCX.  Its
still an interesting idea though, and could be done with standard
rubber balls (even mouse balls if you have enough extra mice, and I
think that I do).  I think I might play with it next time I have
time to play with lego.

You only need two driven axles per ball, and all the balls should
rotate the same way.  So with 4 balls (to make the design simpler)
and two motors you should be able to go in any direction without
ever actually turning.

alex

Zachary Bourk
UCSD, EE