 Robotics / 3064
Re: Seeking Strategies on Humanoid Robots/Walkers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:35:49 GMT

Patrick Gili wrote in message ...
I seem to recall that noone has succesfully solved the problem of
artificial biped locomotion even in traditional robotics, let alone

   This problem has been solved with both fuzzy logic and neural
   network control systems.  I believe that a traditional control
   system approach to this problem has yielded poor results.

Actually, they can be built with *relatively* simple, active-feedback
systems for the balance and control.

Simple legged robots (one leg is actually easier than two to control) have
been around since ~1980.

See MIT's "leg" laboratory for pictures and videos!

    http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/leglab/robots/robots.html

   No, I don't think anyone will be solving this problem using
   Mindstorms.  There is a whole list of limitations:

   - slow processor
   - wrong processor architecture
   - wrong software tools
   - inadequate sensors
   - inadequate actuators

The biggest Lego limitation is in the acutators and sensors. Sensing the
"delicate shifts in balance" _is_ difficult, as well as making delicate
manuvers to correct for those shifts--especially when you scale things down
to managable Lego sizes.

  - Izzy