 Robotics / 2024
Re: Seeking Strategies on Humanoid Robots/Walkers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 21:49:31 GMT

Andrew Phelps wrote:

To do this, and many other things, I am trying to write a parser to grab
motion information from high-end animation packages (Alias|Wavefront's Maya
and Side Effects Houdini) and use the Not Quite C (NQC) and stripped C++
versions of RCX programming to carry out a subset of that information
assuming a model that is in scale with the computer generated geometry.
This will likely be tremendously difficult and take a LOOOOONG time because
typically these packages store the current positions of the data as absolute
co-ordinates rather than relative to the last known position :(  If I can
strip everything but the rotation elements of the modelled joints I think I
can get further along with that information and allowing the robot to
perform the joint rotations (have to work up a scale where x amount of motor
time on multiplied by y speed = z rotation along whatever axis...)  Promises
to keep me out of trouble for a long time <G>

I am playing with a similar project in my spare time, I have found that your
first step should probably be to write a MEL script that outputs a text file
with all of your rotational data (this is easier if you are not using IK, but
can be done with IK). What I am currently working on is trying to get Technic
parts out of Ldraw and into Maya so that I can build my LEGO creation there,
then animate it doing what I want it to, output a text file (through my MEL
script), and figure out some way to get that to work with the RCX. I would be
curious to hear how you are looking at doing it.
--

L. M. Lloyd
lee@advfilms.com
SGI Animator