 Robotics / 2943
Re: is Mindstorm/RCX Y2K Compliant???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 01:02:49 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 19:53:26 GMT, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Russell
Nelson) wrote:

Did you *tell* it which year it was??

Then why do you think it cares??

It's a microcontroller. Therefore it has an internal clock. Therefore
it can suffer from Y2K, if it hasn't been removed.

No, just because it has a microcontroller in it doesn't mean it will
stop working in 2000.   Russell is absolutely right.  If it doesn't know
what the year is (you never tell it) it doesn't know when Y2K is going
to happen.  There are too many reports and rumors around that just
aren't true.  The MCR's that are going to fail tend to be highly
specialized.  Some of them never have the date set by the user because
they are set at the factory.  But be assured - the RCX is not one of
those devices.

Sheesh, this Y2K panic is getting completely out of hand.

No it's not. We're not even close to getting everything away. How do
you think we will fare if the world's stockmarkets can't function
anymore because of a comp crash? or, which is a more likely scenario,
the stockmarket will just crash completely because of companies going
belly up when they're not prepared...

Yes, again Russell is correct.  It is getting blown way out of
proportion.  We will get by because we still have minds and can think
through the problems.  Problems WILL exist, but being paranoid about
them and crying wolf over totally irrelevent issues will only make
things worse.

-Wes