 Robotics / 2421
Re: Is Super Car Y2K Compliant? [was: is Mindstorm/RCX Y2K Compliant???]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 18:32:39 GMT

lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com (Joe Greene) said the following on the auspicious date of 99-01-05:

Um. Cyberia.. I discovered to my dismay, that the Lego IR tower and
software on windows is touchier about IRQ than Linux is about PnP
devices. My tower will only work on Com2 because my Mouse is on COM1
(IRQ4) and my modem is COM3(IRQ4), if I disconnect the mouse and connect
the IR tower to COM1 then Mindstorms software cannot find the tower. I
spent 20 minuts with Lego Tech support getting it working on COM2 (my
bad..had to beat up my network card and Win95..it kept trying to put the
NIC on IRQ3 despite my demands to put it on IRQ11).

Another possibility might be to put the modem on another IRQ if it's an internal modem. I did this with one system -- put the modem and parallel port on IRQ 7 (I would have used a higher IRQ, but the modem is an 8-bit ISA card, so it can only use the first 8 IRQs). Win NT didn't like it, but I mostly use OS/2 on that system, and OS/2 didn't care unless I used both the modem and printer at once.

The mouse driver likely grabed COM1 and wouldn't let anything else use it, so disconnecting the mouse to plug in anything else likely won't work. At least with OS/2, the mouse driver loads before the serial port driver, so the serial port driver never touches a serial port used by a mouse. Windows may do something similar.

Windows95 -- An entomologist's dream

Jeff Jackowski      http://ro.com/~jeffj/
  OS/2 WPS (Desktop) Tips, remote i-net dialup
"Luncheon meats make the sawdust in your stomach
explode."          -- Crow T. Robot