 Robotics / 258
Re: list/group merge (was RE: Newbie Question.. FAQ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 02:01:19 GMT

Kekoa Proudfoot writes:

My only concern is that there is not enough traffic to warrant a split.

Reverse engineering will die down after a few more months - the firmware is
95% finished as far as I'm concerned, with only the ROM and new firmware
really remaining - when these are done, traffic on these topics will die
down substantially.  Posts relating to custom Lego robotics have always
seemed to be in a sideband - interesting, but never a major talking point.
I'm sure that purists can withstand the wincing when hearing about the
occasional slicing and dicing of a Lego part.  I even think occasional
threads discussing using another controller (Handy Board or Stamp, say)
with Lego bricks are fine, since I can't imagine them ever taking over the
focus of the list/newsgroup.  (If they do, however, that might warrant a
split.)

At least, this is my take from the lego-robotics side of things.

From the lugnet.robotics side of things, the charter specifically refers to
"building" as being the focus, but in a very general sense.

I think the word "build" on the front-end of the charter is a holdover from
when the group was once called  build.robotics  before the renaming of the
hierarchies.  You're right, it's not really restricted to building.  And on
the http://www.lugnet.com/news/groups/ page, it's listed under "Building &
Creating."  I just updated the description to reflect this more accurately.
The lugnet.robotics tree (currently only 1 group) was always really intended
(long-term) to encompass any robotics thing.

On the other
hand, the lego-robotics side of things seems to be focused on reverse
engineering and other hacking, although I'm under the impression that
discussions about building are welcome.  There might be some amount of
conflict there - I can see many builder-types being completely uninterested
in internal details.  So if any split is warranted, I think it would be
between building and reverse engineering / internals, with lego-robotics
attached (at LUGNET) to the reverse engineering / internals side of the
split.  (Personally, I'm not really for a split, but I could go either
way.)

Comments?

I'm not in favor of a split either -- unless traffic doubles or triples or
people in differing camps really get annoyed at the content of the other
camps -- but it's easy enough to handle any kind of split at this end if it
should become necessary.

--Todd