 Robotics / 248
Re: list/group merge (was RE: Newbie Question.. FAQ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 21:38:53 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
I would love to see this happen. I think the technical issues have been
solved. Where I see a stumbling block that needs to be talked through is...
are the charters (of the list, and of the newsgroup) congruent, or close
enough?

I would agree that there is strong enough division between the three
following topics to warrent seperate fora:

-- "Pure" Lego robotics: using only Real Lego hardware, although including
    using alternate development environments. This is Mindstorms (etc.) from
    a user level.
-- Mindstorms reverse engineering/metadevelopment: figuring out the
    internals, and building tools for others to use.
-- Custom Lego robotics: homebrew and other commercial systems that
    interface with Lego. This is Lego robotics from a hardware-hacker's
    viewpoint. And the 'non-purist' approach puts a different attitude and
    feel to the whole thing. Someone posted to the list just a bit ago
    saying that they hoped the excitement over Mindstorms would die down
    soon because they wanted to talk about other possiblities. While that's
    certainly an ok view to have, a lot of us (most of us?) feel
    differently.