 Robotics / 259
Re: Newbie Question.. FAQ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 00:54:25 GMT

I am definitely in favor of this setting up a 2-way gateway
between the lego-robotics mailing list and lugnet.robotics.
I just went to work for a company that internally maintains
thousands of mailing lists.  However, they give people the
option of having to deal with the deluge of mail or keep up
with a corresponding newsgroup.  Personally, I prefer keeping
up with the newsgroups.  However, I think this is a very
personal thing.

I think some of the problem here is one of ignorance.  I don't
mean this in a bad way.  However, I think some education needs
to take place.

***
First, this gateway thing is simple.

If you prefer mailing lists, then you subscribe to the mailing
list to receive all messages distributed by the mailing list,
plus any posts to lugnet.robotics.  When you send a message to
the mailing list, then gateway posts it automatically to
lugnet.robotics.

If you prefer newsgroups, then you subscribe to lugnet.robotics.
You will see postings for all messages sent to the mailing list
in addition to the normal postings to lugnet.robotics.  When you
post a message to lugnet.robotics, it will automatically be sent
to the mailling list.

***
Second, it seems that there are people who don't want to use
LUGNET because their employers' prevent it accessing external
NNTP servers (and probably for good reasons given the content
of some newsgroups).  I found that some employers will make
concessions.  However, for those that don't, I have found that
LUGNET's web interface, available from www.lugnet.com, is
outstanding.  In addition, you have a sympathetic, adept
webmaster willing to listen to people's input.

***
Third, there are some people who just don't know how to manage
their newsreader to handle more than one NNTP server.  I don't
want to ramble for too long here.  However, most decent news
readers have help files written well enough that it isn't hard
to figure out.  I never used Netscape until I recently joined
my current employer, primarily because they don't support
MS Explorer internally.  They also require you to use Netscape
as a newreader.  It took me all of two or three minutes to
figure out how to add lugnet.com as an additional NNTP server.
If you don't understand the concept of maintaining subscriptions
on multiple NNTP servers, then I strongly recommend finding a
good book on the subject.  Unfortunately, I don't have a title
to recommend.