 Robotics / 24039
Re: BlueTooth bad, Zigbee good
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:48:47 GMT

On Wed, June 1, 2005 12:29 pm, Bruce Boyes said:
Bluetooth is actually very poor for embedded or robotic applications. It's
a power hog

You mean compaired to other comm devices, or compaired to a couple motors?  I'd
think if you have a moble robot, the motors are going to use much more power than
anything else, right?

BT is also overly complex for most embedded or
robotic applications.

From what I just read, you can transmit much more data with BT.  Isn't that better?

Zigbee is much newer

And, to me, that's a problem.  This is the first time I've heard of Zigbee.  I know
I can go out and get a BT card for my laptop.  Or, I can connect with my PDA.  Is
that same hardware available for ZB?  Where will ZB be in a year?  In five years?

It seems to me that LEGO is NOT a technology company.  They don't design or develop
new technology.  They make toys.  Toys that use existing technology.

Seven or eight years after the RCX came out, is it still cutting edge technology?
No.  In fact, I don't think it ever was.  But, it's still very cool.

I think LEGO has to leave it to people like you, Gabe, and John Barnes, to create
cutting edge stuff.  They need to stick to solid, proven technology.

Steve