 Robotics / 24034
Re: Lego controller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 01:37:53 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:

Most of these are pretty clear.  Of course, this discussion comes up every few
months.

Yeah - and my opinion can still best be described as "Make It Modular".
Most of the other things people want would fall naturally out from that
one design decision.

Do many people use the IR as a way to communicate between a PC and a moble robot?

I doubt it - but MANY people use IR between robots (and the IR remote is pretty
nifty when you want to check out your hardware design before you start in on writing
software.)

If you have to have IR send and receive between robots - then you might
as well use IR to download programs from the PC rather than burden the robot with
another connector that it doesn't need.  The RCX needs to be lighter, smaller, cheaper
so anything we can leave off, we should.

6) Remote sensor Usage (IR or Bluetooth)

10) Internal IP-like number (same as the imprinted) so you can direct address
that RCX ! (using IR or Bluetooth)

I don't know much about Bluetooth.  How would this help?

Bluetooth is a really short range radio system.  If you can get a radio
system in there, I'd MUCH prefer that it was 802.11 - better range, easier
connection to a PC, Internet capable out of the box.

If the Nintendo DS can have it in a $100 box - so could RCX.

Would it really be useful to have Bluetooth to connect to a sensor?

No - that's silly.  For the sensor to be smart enough to talk on Bluetooth, it
would have to have a computer in it.  If you are going that way then expose the
computer so we can use it.  Then you have a modular system (which is what I'd
like to see).  However, radio comms would make the sensors MUCH more expensive
and I don't think we'd want that.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net