 Robotics / 24062
Re: more on Zigbee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:22:02 GMT

Or this:  http://russnelson.com/wisan/

> Zigbee is an IEEE standard - 802.15.4 - so that reflects some
> maturity already.

Welllll......  Zigbee is three protocol layers built on top of
802.15.4.  Zigbee is a trademark, whereas 802.15.4 is not.  The Zigbee
standard is only available to members at a five-figure cost, whereas
802.15.4 is available at nominal cost.  Zigbee is a great name, and
much more pronouncable than IEEE 802.15.4, but they're not the same
thing.

> But the bottom line is I don't have any axe to grind. My purpose in
> emailing was to let people know that Zigbee is a much better RF system for
> new robot and embedded control designs:

Yup.  20ma continuous operation, 300 foot open-air range (measured),
50 foot range in an EXTREMELY RF-noisy environment.

--
--My blog is at     blog.russnelson.com         | If you want to find
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | injustice in economic