 Robotics / 24056
Re: for robots and industry: BlueTooth bad, Zigbee good - thanks for response
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 04:46:17 GMT

Bruce,

1. True, Bluetooth is embedded in a lot of cellphones. But cellphones
is not the only device that carries Bluetooth, as you already know.
However, SonyEricsson has created the ROB1, which is a Linux robot
that is controlled by Bluetooth, rolls around, and takes pictures.
Take a look here:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/rob1

2. Well, if Lego or JCX, was Bluetooth enabled, then it would be of
some help to this group. I would love to carry in my pocket a remote
contol (ie. a cell phone or PDA) for my lego robot. Almost every
cellphone and PDA on the market has 4-way or 5-way navigation, so
that's great for a robot remote control.

3. The JB-22 is a Bluetooth development kit that allows Java
developers to write Bluetooth applications between two PCs. The
examples in the kit allow you to quickly get up to speed with device
discovery, service searching, and two-way communication. However, this
kit also allows you to communicate with other Bluetooth devices (that
are not Java-enabled).  You can also use the libraries in the kit to
write Java Bluetooth applications for JSR-82 cellphones.

4. This is no performance metric, but I've made cached connections
from two Bluetooth enabled laptops (where I sent a file from the
client to the server) in about 2-3 seconds.

5. There's a long story here. Sprint and Verizon operate CDMA
networks. Cingular and T-Mobile operate GPRS networks. The CDMA
network providers cripple parts of Bluetooth functionality because
they don't want the short range wireless network to compete with their
revenue stream.  Having that said, the Bluetooth profiles that are a
threat to the CDMA network providers are DUN and LAP. DUN and LAP
involve internet access, and not serial communications. So, the
Bluetooth devices may have some Bluetooth profiles disabled, the SPP
(Serial Port Profile) is not disabled because it's not a threat to the
CDMA network providers.

6. If your cellphone or PDA supports J2ME, then it's end-user programmable.

Now, here's the potential for Lego and Bluetooth: I can create one (or
many) custom Bluetooth services for my lego robot. My Bluetooth
cellphone or PDA can discover, search for the services, and send data
to the Lego robot. Since alot of other devces support Bluetooth, I can
do things like:

a. provide internet access to my robot (probably not on a CDMA network)
b. send cool stuff from my phone (like text or pictures) to my robot
c. grab Bluetooth GPS data and relay it to my robot
d. the list goes on and on

Regards,

Bruce