 Robotics / 24026
Re: New Lego controller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 07:19:30 GMT

On 5/31/05, dan miller <danbmil99@yahoo.com> wrote:
I've heard rumors Lego may be planning a new Mindstorms product.  IMNSHO
something like this would be perfect.  Smaller units, more modularity, easy
connectivity between brains.  It fits perfectly into the Lego paradigm, and
the technology is finally there to do it economically.

I think the biggest challenge would be the software side.  Something like
robolab needs to be modularized, so the parts of the algorithm that should
naturally reside in different hardware components can be automatically
routed there, and so on.  On the C/C++/NQC side, you need some sort of
similar multi-process toolchain.  Writing code for a new smart component
should be as easy as defining a new function.

-dbm

Hi Dan,
I seem to remember discussing this before. I agree this would be
perfect. In terms of software, the system could start out as a simple
one module system, and use an interface like robolab or RCX code to
start newbies off. When a new module is added, default firmware will
just treat it as additional sensors and motors.

More advanced languages - Robolab, C/C++/Java (or even Python) based
could then be used to support multiple modules. Again - I agree with
in Robolab - a new function call. But advanced programmers should be
able to use the modules in fully asynchronous modes with a few
inter-process communications across the bus to get a quite powerful
robot.

Orion
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots