 Robotics / 24027
Re: New Lego controller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 10:44:37 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, danny staple orionrobots@gmail.com wrote:

On 5/31/05, dan miller danbmil99@yahoo.com wrote:
   I’ve heard rumors Lego may be planning a new Mindstorms product. IMNSHO something like this would be perfect. Smaller units, more modularity, easy connectivity between brains. It fits perfectly into the Lego paradigm, and the technology is finally there to do it economically.

I think the biggest challenge would be the software side. Something like robolab needs to be modularized, so the parts of the algorithm that should naturally reside in different hardware components can be automatically routed there, and so on. On the C/C++/NQC side, you need some sort of similar multi-process toolchain. Writing code for a new smart component should be as easy as defining a new function.

-dbm

Hi Dan, I seem to remember discussing this before. I agree this would be perfect. In terms of software, the system could start out as a simple one module system, and use an interface like robolab or RCX code to start newbies off. When a new module is added, default firmware will just treat it as additional sensors and motors.

More advanced languages - Robolab, C/C++/Java (or even Python) based could then be used to support multiple modules. Again - I agree with in Robolab - a new function call. But advanced programmers should be able to use the modules in fully asynchronous modes with a few inter-process communications across the bus to get a quite powerful robot.

Orion

Hi All,

yes the rumors are strong... Last AFOL Mindstorms Competition (in Billund, LEGO home :) ), the Director of the MS division came and spoke to all the competitors (MS gurus) and asked them: “What do you think is important in a new RCX ?”

So, Yes LEGO is working on something, however he would (could) not tell me what and how far the development is. I think it is good to speak out what we as advanced MS users see as a good step in the next generation of MS. Below my view:

Hi Soren

It was great talking to you and others during the AFOL MS tournament.

On Saturday night we had a little conversation regarding the wishes on future design of the RCX. Your question was: What, if you may ask for one (1) thing, is really the best enhancement on a new RCX. Well this is my answer (and a bit more):

1) Solid state memory (so if you remove all the batteries , the programs and firmware will stay present)

2) A Better handshake between the RCX and the IRtower. To reduce in a multi environment overwritten of programs, or a switch to lock the programs

3) Keep the thing Backwards compatible.. (or provide a conversion program to convert your old programs)

4) Return of the AC adapter plug in the commercial version (do not change the voltage)

5) More holes on the side and Studs on top/bottom, for more flexible mounting

6) Remote sensor Usage (IR or Bluetooth)

7) Standard Power OUT (for connecting remote sensors power)

8) 4th Motor output or better a Motor expander, that has a separate Power input (Battery connection or Direct AC plug) http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=11871 (tread on more input/output)

9) Sensor Expander for the current available sensors http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=107843

10) Internal IP-like number (same as the imprinted) so you can direct address that RCX ! (using IR or Bluetooth)

11) Add on sensor like sound / light as seen on the web: http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics/ (see sensors) or http://www.mindsensors.com/

12) Keep the system Open, like delivering a SDK and so

13) Lookout on the web for great Ideas and add them more visible to your own website

14) Ask the best Builders (and I hope now you know who we are) for contribution of models with the new BOX, before it hits in a final stage the market. I know that at least I’m willing to create, build and program a nice model

15) …. If I have more time I can come up with more and more….

Here is a links to my Photos (don’t forget the next at the bottom there are 3 pages) http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=126293

This is a link to the thread on Lugnet:http://www.news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=23908

Also when using the “UP” you will see my part of Brickshelf http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=robotica

PS on the Lugnet newsgroup there was also a thread on improvements for the RCX…

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=23393

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=16124 (but I never could get hold of that article..)

Regards

Martijn Boogaarts