 Robotics / 24057
Re: BT in robotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:03:32 GMT

Bruce,

1. Yeah, SonyEricsson is very serious about their Linux robot

2. How else (other than Bluetooth) could you send data from your
cellphone to your robot? IR isn't an ideal solution, since a lot of
phones don't support it.

3. I created the JB-22 kit, so yes I use it. I use it alot.  It's a
very cheap kit that allows anybody to get started with Bluetooth
development.

4. When I get a chance, I'll try to do some real tests for you
regarding pure data tx times. The 2-3 second time frame that I gave
you is the time it takes for my java class to startup, get the cached
connection parameters, create the connection, create a session (which
is optional), read a file from the hard drive, send the data, close
the connection and session, and return. In 2-3 seconds, in my opinion,
that's pretty impressive. And of course, I used the JB-22 kit for all
this.

5. Bluetooth does has a 7-node limit for piconets. However, you can
overcome this limitation by chaining your piconets together, which is
called a scatternet.

6. Bluetooth has lot's advantages (trust me, I can go on and on) for
instance, you can run TCP/IP over the Bluetooth protocol. Let that
sink in for a second. That means that you can have all your wireless
Bluetooth devices communicate to each other with an IP address, and
you'll have the full TCP/IP stack to play with. Your networked
application doesn't even have to know that all the nodes are wireless
and doesn't have to care about communicating to the nodes using the
Bluetooth semantics.

I'm also a Java fanatic, and Psinaptic makes a Jini implementation for
the CSR BlueCore2 Bluetooth chips. That means that you can have your
Bluetooth devices form a Bluetooth network, and then overlay it with a
Jini network. Very, very cool.

http://www.psinaptic.com/blue_core.jsp

7. Yes, we definitely need to collaborate, because I can see some
really cool applications coming on the Bluetooth side of things.

Regards,

Bruce H
Author, Bluetooth for Java
http://www.javabluetooth.com