 Publishing / 881
Re: web page in frames
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 18:15:34 GMT

Matthew Miller:

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk> wrote:
It simply shows the NOFRAMES element in stead of the FRAMES
element. That is how frames/no-frames negotiation was
defined by Netscape.

The main problem with this is the way Lynx deals with frames -- it shows you
the "NOFRAMES" part, AND gives you links to the frames. So you end up with a
(slightly kludgy) way to use the frames, right next to a message from the
website telling you that you can't use them.

I have never found this a problem for anybody but the
apparently uneducated author of thoose pages.

Plus (and I know this matters less in these days of high bandwidth), it just
seems inefficient to send both options no matter what.

I find this a larger problem (but it is mostly "solved" by
keeping the NOFRAMES content to short insults ;-).

So it'd be cool if this could be negotiated with the server.

Then it wouldn't be "FRAMES" anymore. The real problem is
that Netscrape insisted on a bad solution - even when there
was a (fully backwards compatible) better one.

Play well,

Jacob

      --  E-mail:        sparre@cats.nbi.dk         --
      --  Web...:  <URL:http://www.ldraw.org/FAQ/>  --