 Publishing / 861
Re: web page in frames
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 17:05:08 GMT

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:50:19 GMT, sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre
Andersen) wrote:

[ XFUT lugnet.publish ]

Alex:

do u think the frames are hard to use?

It is generally a bad idea to use frames, and I can't see
why your site really needs them.

Since the subject of frames has come up again, anyone want to make
suggestions for the Elements Image Catalog site?

<http://partsref.home.att.net/>

It uses frames now.  I can think of two straight-forward redesigns to get
rid of frames.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?

1. Convert the side-by-side frames into a two-column table.
2. Turn the category links into a free-form list at the top of each page.

There's another reason I'm looking at the design of this site.  WorldNet
has added site-search capabilities[1].  I'm thinking it would be a good
thing to generate element pages, so that visitors could do reasonable
text-searching.  Mixing frames and search-results pages sounds like a Bad
Thing to me.

Steve
--
1- And doubled diskspace to 10MB!  Between the six ID's, I can put up 60MB
of web-junk!