 Publishing / 3388
Re: Introducing the Introduction!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 01:50:26 GMT

In lugnet.publish, William R. Ward writes:
Um, no!  That's not how copyright works.  The fact that you're not
making money off it doesn't make you exempt from anything.

I am not a lawyer either, but I immediately cringed at the music credit (as
well as the excessive use of different fonts mentioned by Hafner).  I mean.
don't get me wrong -- I don't personally care if you use the music or not.
But absent permission to do so, there is no way around the fact that you are
using the music in a copyright infringing manner.

The argument that it is being used in a not for profit venture is no
protection, consider the following:

Let's say Stephen King puts out a novel called "Brickdeath."  King, via his
publisher, is selling the text in retail bookshops.  You decide to scan,
OCR, and upload the complete text of Brickdeath up on your website.
Consumers have a choice: they can go to a bookshop and shell out $25 for
King's book, or they can just go to your site and download the thing for
FREE!  Yay! You end up costing King and his publishers $10,000,000 in
estimated lost revenues.  So while you earned nothing for hosting the eBook
of Brickdeath, they lost $$$!!!

Question: who do you think they will sue?

You may be a bloodless turnip but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't
pursue an injunction against the continued availability of the offending
material on your website.  I suppose there is always the possibility that
they could/would attach future earnings in an attempt to punish you, and
make an example of you, such that others would be discouraged from doing the
same thing you did.

The fact that TLC allows certain use of their stuff doesn't give you carte
blanche from anybody else.

But, like I said, I am not a lawyer and I don't care what you do with your
website.  I was just trying to illustrate why your argument is specious.

-- Hop-Frog