 Castle / 13008
Re: Introducing the Introduction!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:49:42 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Tony Hafner writes:
In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
I've uploaded to my website the my first major attempt at a Shockwave flash
movie.  It's an intro movie to the website, and I think it's pretty spiffy.

http://www.ozbricks.com/ikros

Very cool, Anthony.  This is a great addition to your skills, and definitely
adds to the site.  Are you planning on putting it on the entry page, with a
"skip intro" link?

Thanks much!  I've debated whether or not to do this, and I'll explain why I've
done what I've done.  You see, the file is huge, at least in terms of the
Internet (1 Meg), which for someone on a phone modem would take a while to
download.  So if I were to put it on the main page, I'd be slowing those phone
modem users down, unless I made a splash index page that lead to a main page.
But if I made a splash index page, people would bookmark the main page, and if
they wanted to see my movie would have to click on the link to go to it.  In
this situation, I might as well have my movie like it is, simply linked off the
main page.  Another reason for not having a splash page is that I want to be
listed on search engines, and search engines typically look predominantly at
the index page.  If my index page was a splash page, linking to a main page,
then there wouldn't be much text or alt tags for the search engines to use to
judge my site by, and so I'd be looked over more than I'd want to be.

So, short answer, no, I've decided to defy convention and not put it on my main
page.

My only complaint is the number of fonts used.  I found it a bit distracting
to see 6 phrases float by in succession where each one used a different font.

--
Tony Hafner, whining again
www.hafhead.com

And a valid one.  It's a double edged sword.  With the amount of text I had
flying around, I didn't want the user, well ok audience, to be bored with all
the same font.  But like you said, with as many fonts as I had it was a bit
distracting.  If (big if) I make a second trailer/intro movie I'll try it with
only a few fonts.

Thanks for the feedback!

--Anthony