 Publishing / 262
Re: Redesigning my site...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:35:39 GMT

Bram Lambrecht (braml@juno.com) wrote:

[ about frames ]

What problems are you refering to?

The main problem is that I can't refer to a specific "page" unless I
break your frams.

Using frames is the easiest way to get the look I want, otherwise the
individual pages have to have tons of repeated code

You're right that you have to repeat some information if you use whole
pages instead of frames, but I don't expect it to be much (maybe 1k).

If you use your server's page scripting facilities you don't have to
write it everytime yourself. Here's a simple example (not checked
for syntax errors):

  <Title>The Content Title</Title>

  <!--#include "include/top.incl" -->

  <P>
   Here comes the content you would have put in the largest of the
   frames.

  <!--#include "include/bottom.incl" -->

"include/top.incl" contains the unchanging part of the pages that
goes at the top and in the left menu bar, and "include/bottom.incl"
contains the unchanging part of the pages that goes at the bottom.

and won't look as nice because of margins.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean (the width of table borders
can be set as you like it).

I also like the fact that certain links can remain visible at all
times - the disclaimer, for example, is in a small frame of its own
so that it is always visible and not repeated.

This is one of these things that will go in one of the two included
files.

Play well,

Jacob

           --  E-mail: Jacob.Sparre.Andersen@risoe.dk  --
           --  Web...: <URL:http://hugin.risoe.dk/>    --

LEGO: MOC+++c TO+++(6543) TC+++(8880) AQ+++ BV-- #++ S LS++ A-/+ YB72m