 Publishing / 1087
Re: Different fonts in webpages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 03:02:16 GMT

Hello Linc,

Linc Smith <ldsmith@pfc.forestry.ca> wrote in article
<FJEoo8.DLp@lugnet.com>...
Is there a list of fonts that are "safe" or safer to use in pages.  I • want
to change up some of the fonts on my page, but don't know if there are
standard web fonts to choose from.

I'll just through my two cents in here.

1.  I would suggest staying away from specifying fonts.  You never know
what's being used to browse your site.  Learn a lesson from LEGO with their
site right now.  Design so LOTS of folks can easily use your site.

2.  From a design standpoint, you may certainly want to use different fonts
to let certain text stand out.  If this is necessary, then why not use
small .gifs to make sure that the text is shown in whatever font you
choose, no matter whether the visitor has it installed or not.  The
drawback here is that you are limited to small section headings and/or
small paragraphs of text.  But the effect can be quite nice I feel.  I
humbly offer an example of my own work to illustrate what I mean:

http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/rp/leanhtml.htm

If you scroll down and look to the right you will see a small pull-quote
that nicely stands out in a completely different font.  That short sentence
is a mere 5k, not likely to load slowly, even for the slowest modem user.
The title of the page is also in a different font, this time with a nice
drop shadow.  And again, only a 5k file.

The great thing with this technique is that you can manipulate the text
anyway you like (colors, effects) and know that they will be seen.  The
downside, of course, is that if the text changes often, or needs to be
replaced, it does add extra work.

Best regards,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm