 Publishing / 1104
Re: Different fonts in webpages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 03:47:20 GMT

I see Times New Roman.  I have a lot of fonts, but not Papyrus LET.

John Matthews

John DiRienzo <ig88888888@stlnet.com> wrote in message
   On this past discussion of fonts, I began to wonder...
   I looked at the page of common MS fonts, and the main font on my • webpage
is not listed.  Its called Papyrus LET, and the other font I use a lot is
Comic Sans MS (which is fairly common, I guess).  So, when people look at • my
main web page, what kind of font do they see?  My page looks the way I • want
it to on my PC, but I am afraid others are seeing something a lot • different.
The Papyrus font looks a lot like fancy calligraphy and seems appropriate
for a Castle page, but it must look like crap with the generic fonts on • some
systems.  If you can tell me what you guys see when you look at my page, • and
if you think it should be changed, please let me know.  Also, on my Castle
trading list (which is like 50KB) I am sure removing the fancy font would
also reduce the size by 20KB or so because of the way its set up - so I • had
thought about removing the font for that page before anyway, or splitting
the page into a few pages.  Lastly, since I never asked, are there any • other
glaring problems on my page(s)?  Thanks for the help.
--
   Have fun!
   John
Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Agreed. I never specify font, only size and face. However I HAVE seen
people (including here at Lugnet(tm) I think but I could be too wrong
and too lazy to check, I am in a hotel and paying for my 800# access)
name off a bazillion font types (helvetica, geneva, ariel yada yada) to
get one sans serif font and ditto for Times New Roman or its • workalikes.

Changing fonts is playing with fire.  It's possible to do it right, but • it's
tricky.  Some of my rules of thumb:

1.  The best way to specify a Helvetica-like face is to use

  <FONT FACE="Geneva,Arial,Helvetica">

in that order.  Geneva is the for the Mac, which doesn't have Arial, and
Mac users claim that Geneva looks better to them at small sizes than • either
Helvetica or Arial.  Arial is only there for Winblows systems.  Helvetica • is
for non-Winblows and non-Mac systems.  That pretty much covers all the
platforms.

2.  If you want Verdana, it's OK to leave out Geneva and Arial because • both
Macs and Winblows are shipping with Verdana these days.  Put in Helvetica • as
a back-up in case Verdana isn't found,

  <FONT FACE="Verdana,Helvetica">

and optionally include Geneva if you think someone might be viewing your • page
on an old Mac without Verdana and you care what it looks like.

3.  If you change out of the default serif font -- say, via

  <FONT FACE="Georgia">  or  <FONT FACE="Verdana">

beware that <PRE> and <TT> don't work anymore inside of that <FONT> tag • on
some Winblows systems:  the text doesn't come out in the default • monospace
font (i.e. Courier) but instead comes out in the enlclosed <FONT> face! • %^(

This is broken in both Nutscrape Navigator 4.5 and Internet Exploiter • 3.0,
maybe other versions as well.  It's a little bit worse in NN than in • MSIE,
but it only works correctly in MSIE if you use a virtual font name like
"Times" or "Helvetica" rather than an actual font name like "Times New • Roman"
or "Arial".

4.  Georgia is a really nice alternative to Times New Roman, but, unlike
Times, it looks terrible next to Courier -- the sizes are too different.
(Georgia is a bit larger than Times.)  So if you use <TT> or <PRE> on a • page,
stick with the default fonts for body text.  (Helvetica section headers • or
titles look OK though.)

5.  Verdana only looks good at <FONT SIZE="-1"> or <FONT SIZE="-2">. • It's
too thin at the default font size.  Unfortunately, if you specify -1 and • you
don't specify Helvetica as a back-up, then Times looks terrible at -1. • (And
Times looks really terrible at -2.)

--Todd