 Publishing / 1102
Re: Different fonts in webpages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 00:26:51 GMT

   On this past discussion of fonts, I began to wonder...
   I looked at the page of common MS fonts, and the main font on my webpage
is not listed.  Its called Papyrus LET, and the other font I use a lot is
Comic Sans MS (which is fairly common, I guess).  So, when people look at my
main web page, what kind of font do they see?  My page looks the way I want
it to on my PC, but I am afraid others are seeing something a lot different.
The Papyrus font looks a lot like fancy calligraphy and seems appropriate
for a Castle page, but it must look like crap with the generic fonts on some
systems.  If you can tell me what you guys see when you look at my page, and
if you think it should be changed, please let me know.  Also, on my Castle
trading list (which is like 50KB) I am sure removing the fancy font would
also reduce the size by 20KB or so because of the way its set up - so I had
thought about removing the font for that page before anyway, or splitting
the page into a few pages.  Lastly, since I never asked, are there any other
glaring problems on my page(s)?  Thanks for the help.
--
   Have fun!
   John
Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Agreed. I never specify font, only size and face. However I HAVE seen
people (including here at Lugnet(tm) I think but I could be too wrong
and too lazy to check, I am in a hotel and paying for my 800# access)
name off a bazillion font types (helvetica, geneva, ariel yada yada) to
get one sans serif font and ditto for Times New Roman or its workalikes.

Changing fonts is playing with fire.  It's possible to do it right, but • it's
tricky.  Some of my rules of thumb:

1.  The best way to specify a Helvetica-like face is to use

  <FONT FACE="Geneva,Arial,Helvetica">

in that order.  Geneva is the for the Mac, which doesn't have Arial, and
Mac users claim that Geneva looks better to them at small sizes than either
Helvetica or Arial.  Arial is only there for Winblows systems.  Helvetica • is
for non-Winblows and non-Mac systems.  That pretty much covers all the
platforms.

2.  If you want Verdana, it's OK to leave out Geneva and Arial because both
Macs and Winblows are shipping with Verdana these days.  Put in Helvetica • as
a back-up in case Verdana isn't found,

  <FONT FACE="Verdana,Helvetica">

and optionally include Geneva if you think someone might be viewing your • page
on an old Mac without Verdana and you care what it looks like.

3.  If you change out of the default serif font -- say, via

  <FONT FACE="Georgia">  or  <FONT FACE="Verdana">

beware that <PRE> and <TT> don't work anymore inside of that <FONT> tag on
some Winblows systems:  the text doesn't come out in the default monospace
font (i.e. Courier) but instead comes out in the enlclosed <FONT> face! • %^(

This is broken in both Nutscrape Navigator 4.5 and Internet Exploiter 3.0,
maybe other versions as well.  It's a little bit worse in NN than in MSIE,
but it only works correctly in MSIE if you use a virtual font name like
"Times" or "Helvetica" rather than an actual font name like "Times New • Roman"
or "Arial".

4.  Georgia is a really nice alternative to Times New Roman, but, unlike
Times, it looks terrible next to Courier -- the sizes are too different.
(Georgia is a bit larger than Times.)  So if you use <TT> or <PRE> on a • page,
stick with the default fonts for body text.  (Helvetica section headers or
titles look OK though.)

5.  Verdana only looks good at <FONT SIZE="-1"> or <FONT SIZE="-2">.  It's
too thin at the default font size.  Unfortunately, if you specify -1 and • you
don't specify Helvetica as a back-up, then Times looks terrible at -1. • (And
Times looks really terrible at -2.)

--Todd